Jobs at the Library
MCL is a fantastic place to work and we’d love for you to join our dedicated team!
Whenever there’s an opening, we’ll be sure to post it here.
The Mukwonago Community Library (MCL) is seeking an experienced and enthusiastic public Library Director with a passion for cultivating learning and literacy, and engaging the community. A talent for strategic thinking, excellent communication skills, the ability to remain positive and flexible, and a demonstrated ability to lead people are also highly desired for this position. The Director will work with an experienced staff in developing and maintaining library services and be responsible for the library’s finances, and all aspects of operations.
The MCL (completely renovated and expanded in 2010) is a beautiful, state-of-the-art 28,000-square-foot facility, which stands as a testament to the support of citizens who value their community library. The MCL has evolved to include MetaSpace 511 (our maker space), The Thingery (our library of things), an updated Young Adult area, a Seed Library, a Book Bike, and many other renovations and innovations that have greatly improved accessibility and overall library experience for our patrons. We should also note that the MCL is operating under a fairly ambitious strategic plan and recently completed a building expansion and reconfiguration planning process with an architect for future discussion with the village and community.
Serving over 23,000 area residents, the MCL is located in the Village of Mukwonago, a family-oriented community located 25 miles southwest of Milwaukee. The library is a member of the Bridges Library System which includes the 24 libraries located in Jefferson and Waukesha Counties. The MCL has an annual budget of over $1,000,000 and circulates over 300,000 items each year.
Essential Attributes for this position include:
- a strong understanding and ability to articulate the public library’s vision, mission and values to the community;
- the ability to expand services and nurture long-lasting partnerships within the community;
- the ability to develop a public programming component is also critical for continued and enhanced community engagement;
- a thorough knowledge of current trends and “best practices” for library service;
- collaboration and consensus-building skills
- knowledge of facility operation and maintenance;
- excellent interpersonal and team-building skills;
- a history of responsiveness to staff, patron, and community needs and concerns;
- sound fiscal management skills.
- Master’s Degree in Library Science from an American Library Association accredited program with eligibility for a Grade 1 Wisconsin Library Certificate;
- 3-5 year public library experience, including two years at the management level or equivalent amount of training and experience;
- Valid Driver’s License needed for travel to meetings.
Salary: $60,000-84,000 (dependent on qualifications and experience). Full-time benefits include: health insurance, life insurance, paid vacation, paid sick/holiday/bereavement leave, and the employer’s contribution to the Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS).
Application Timeline and Process: Cover letter, resume, and the library application form, which can be found HERE
Email application to Martha Riel, Interim Library Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org on or before February 16, 2021. Questions or inquiries about the position may also be emailed to this address.