Please Note: Due to precautions regarding the COVID-19/coronavirus, all materials in the library undergo a 72-hour quarantine when returned. As such, items are considered “UNAVAILABLE” during that time. They will not be visible when searching the catalog nor will their corresponding links below work.
Welcome to “The Thingery”–a lending library of things. The Thingery at the Mukwonago Community Library is a wondrous assortment of equipment and experiences for our community to check out – from GoPro cameras to zoo passes. The collection provides diverse opportunities for lifelong learning, creativity, and engagement by providing the physical tools necessary to explore new areas of interest and learn new skills.
Thingery Items Include:
Adult S.T.E.A.M Kits
Need a few things to try out that new craft?
- Sewing Machine: Try our Brother PS-1000 sewing machine that you can check out and take home with you!
- Glue Guns: That’s right, we have 5 individual AdTech Mini Basic Glue Guns that provide fast, safer bonds of delicate materials like foam, lace, ribbon and synthetic fabric, as well as virtually all other materials. The library includes 2 glue sticks. The user must provide additional glue sticks if needed for a personal project.
A variety of pre-packed bags chock full of all the equipment you’ll need for your next adventure.
- Discover Rocks & Minerals – Includes a rock hammer, chisels, safety glasses, a headlamp, magnifying glass, rockhounding books and more.
- Discover Geocaching – Includes a Garmin GPS unit, portable battery charger, binoculars, flashlight, and more.
- Discover Wildflowers – Includes a prismatic compass, first aid kit, field notebook, wildflower guide books, maps, and more.
- Discover Bird Watching – Includes binoculars, compass, bird songs CD, books,maps, and more.
- Discover Star Gazing – Includes Celestron Skymaster binoculars. compass, flashlight, books, and more.
- Betty Brinn Children’s Museum Pass: The library has two passes to the Betty Brinn Children’s Museum in Milwaukee. Each pass admits up to six people and includes discounted parking.
- East Troy Railroad Museum (Spring-Summer): The library has a total of four passes.
- Two passes admit two adults and two children.
- Two passes admit two adults and four children.
- Milwaukee Art Museum Pass: Enjoy a day with the arts at the world famous Milwaukee Art Museum. The pass admits up to four adults and any child under 18. The pass also provides discounts on parking and museum purchases.
- Milwaukee County Zoo Pass: The library has two passes for the Milwaukee County Zoo. Each pass admits up to eight people and includes parking for one vehicle.
Stay active and prepared with a little help from your favorite library!
- AED Trainer: The Practi-Trainer Essentials: Universal AED Trainer offers a universal training experience to prepare students to use a variety of different AEDs (automated external defibrillator). It features two preprogrammed scenarios and clear voice prompts. A single manikin is included for AED and CPR compression training. The manikin should not be used for mouth-to-mouth CPR training.
- Fitbit Charge 3: Make sure you get your 10,000 steps in with this award-winning fitness tracker. The library has two of them. (Currently Unavailable)
- Garmin Forerunner 35: The Garmin Forerunner 35 fitness tracker has built-in GPS and tracking modes for cycling, walking, indoor or outdoor running, and cardio. Waterproof up to 50 meters and smartphone compatibility.
Super-sized Games: Take some humongous games home with you for giant-sized fun!
Regular-sized Games: Drop by the library and pick up something fun for your next picnic or evening at home.
- Nintendo Switch: The Switch is a gaming system designed to go wherever you do, transforming from home console to portable system in a snap. The library has two consoles pre-loaded with games.
- Nintendo Switch Lite: The system for gamers on the go. The Nintendo Switch Lite is designed specifically for handheld play—so you can jump into your favorite games wherever you happen to be.
- PlayStation 4 Pro: The PS4 Pro is designed to take favorite PS4 games and add better graphics, performance, or features for a 1080p HD TV or 4K HDR TV.
- XBox One Console: The Microsoft Xbox One system combines a great gaming console with the ability to watch television and movie content as well as listen to music or chat with others via Skype. The console comes with two controllers.
- Kalimba: The Kalimba is an African musical instrument, also known as the mbira or likembe. The metal keys are mounted on a wooden box that act as the resonating chamber. The library has two.
- Karaoke Machine: Features RCA output jacks to connect to your TV for scrolling lyrics, 1 microphone jack. Bluetooth enabled and plays CD/CD+Graphics. Built-in ceiling & speaker disco lighting.
- Roll-Up Piano: An 88 key piano with 128 international standard tones, 128 international standard rhythms, sound effects and USB MIDI output that can be connected to a PC for editing music.
- Steel Tongue Drum: A hand-made steel-titanium alloy drum with lotus flower tongue. Popular for meditating, mind healing, and yoga meditation.
- Ukuleles: That’s right. You can check out a ukulele from the library and become the Don Ho of Mukwonago! The library has five adult-size ukuleles and five children’s-size ukuleles.
- Camp Chair: Convenient foldable camping chair with cupholder, including carrying bag. The library has three.
- Canopy: The library has two.
- 10′ x 10′: Get instant shade with the CORE 10′ x 10′ instant canopy. This large outdoor canopy provides 100 square-feet of cooling shade anywhere in just minutes with 50+ UV protection. The canopy features fully-taped seams to protect you from moisture, and two built-in roof vents for added ventilation.
- 12′ x 12′: The Ozark Trail canopy provides a true 144 square feet of cooling relief anywhere in just minutes. This outdoor instant canopy offers 50+ UV protection, so you’re guarded against the sun all day long.
- Folding Table: A portable folding table with carrying handle. Perfect for outdoor & indoor activities. The library has two.
- Igloo Cooler: A 52 quart cooler on wheels with towing handle.
- Inflatable Portable Movie Screen: The Nozzco 10′ inflatable screen offers a cinematic experience in any backyard.
- Stacking Chairs: A set of six metal chairs with open backs and tapered legs. Stackable design. Comes with a dolly.
- Traffic Cones: Four fluorescent orange traffic cones. The library has 3 sets of four cones each.
- Utility Wagon: The wagon meets everyday hauling needs for gardening, grocery shopping, and event planning. The wagon is not intended for transporting children of any age or size. Maximum weight capacity is 150 lbs.
Seasonal Outdoor Fun
- Fishing Pole & Tackle Box: (coming soon)
- Kayak: The Library has two Sun Dolphin Aruba ’10 sit-in kayaks. Great for river and lake trips, they feature adjustable foot braces, padded seat and protective thigh pads. It weights 40 lb. and has a 250 pound weight limit. The Library does NOT supply life preservers. Kayaks circulate for three days.
- Paddleboard: The 10′ Flow 106 paddleboard is for paddlers looking for a great all around board for both adults and older children. Multiple handles allow for easy transportation. The paddleboard weights 46 lb. and has a 230 pound weight limit. The library has two paddleboards.
- Sleds: These great snow sled toboggans will have you speeding down the hill in record time. The library has three sleds: Blue, Red, and Yellow.
- Toboggan: The classic toboggan is constructed in Canada with northern hardrock maple. Center and outside slats are stained in rich walnut. It is a great way to enjoy the outdoors during the winter.
- Kindle: The Library has two Amazon Kindle eReaders, both pre-loaded with hot new releases, best sellers, and our most in-demand titles. The content changes regularly so take a look in the catalog record for the full list.
- Google Chromecast Ultra: Stream online video and music to your TV using your smartphone, tablet, or laptop. Must have HDMI compatible television to use device. The library has two Chromecasts.
- GoPro Hero 5 Session Camera: A lightweight, mountable, action camera that lets you record amazing new perspectives in video while skiing down the Alps or walking your dog. 4K video and 12MP photos in Single, Burst, and Time Lapse modes. Waterproof to 33 feet.
- Mobile Wi-Fi Hotspot: Bring the Internet home with you. Each hotspot can connect up to 10 devices. The library has 18 hotspots.
- Portable Charger: The Anker Powercore portable charger is one of the smallest and lightest portable chargers available. Delivers the fastest possible charge for any device.
- Portable Projector: The P300 Neo Pico Projector offers big screen performance from a tiny projector. Take your business presentations anywhere or turn any wall into a big screen for movies and slide shows.
- Portable Movie Screen: Need a movie screen for a special occasion but don’t want to buy one? Check out our Camp Chef Lite Portable 92″ movie screen. Indoors or outdoors, it’s great for movies, business seminars, sporting events, gaming, and more.
- “Remembering Together” Mobile Scanning Kit: The Flip-Pal mobile scanner is a scanner for photos, large and fragile documents, and cherished memorabilia that does not require a computer to operate. You can even transform images into endearing stories. “StoryScans” software combines the recorded voice of the storyteller and the scan into a single file that is both small and High Definition.
- Roku 2 Streaming Device: Roku is a small device that streams movies, music and other entertainment to your TV via the internet. Since Roku streams (rather than downloads) video, you get instant access to a huge library of entertainment without having to store files on a computer or hard drive. The library has three Roku devices.
- Orion StarBlast Tabletop Telescope: A perfect telescope for beginning amateur astronomers, the StarBlast 4.5″ Astro Altazimuth reflector tabletop telescope is uncomplicated, with simple design, and high level of performance. Everyone in the family will enjoy using it.
- Drones: The library has two drones you can check out.
- Pioneer 3D Model Drone: With the double HD camera design, the user can customize the shooting angle up and down, easy to take high-resolution photos and videos. The battery is rechargeable and provides about 9 minutes of flying time.
- Parrot Mambo Drone: Learn to fly like a Pro! The Parrot Mambo is a quadcopter that you control using a smartphone. Enjoy a simple, high-performance flying system thanks to an advanced flight controller and powerful sensors. Fly indoors or outdoors.
- Off Road 4×4 Remote Controlled Buggy: Check out a “Rock Crawler” off road 4 x 4 remote control buggy. It’s a realistic off-road monster truck with large scale detailed design & simulated cool front lights.
- Diagnostic Car Reader: Not sure what all those warning light mean on your car dashboard? The Foxwell NT301 CAN OBDII & EOBD code scanner detects the engine system, and reads and clears the error codes. The scanner works on all 1996 and newer cars, light-duty trucks, SUVs and minivans sold worldwide.
- Dremel Rotary Tool: The Dremel 4000 variable speed rotary tool offers the highest performance and most versatility of all Dremel rotary tools. Includes 4 attachments and 34 accessories.
- Metal Detector: The Tracker IV metal detector will help to detect metallic objects in extreme ground conditions with no operator adjustments to the circuitry and no loss of sensitivity.
- Oculus Go: The Oculus Go is the easiest way to jump into virtual reality (VR). It’s an all-in-one VR headset that’s portable, comfortable, and easy to use. Just put it on, switch it on, and watch a movie on a 30-foot screen, catch a concert from the first row, play a game, or hang out with friends. It gives you an immersive 360-degree view of a three-dimensional VR world using a smartphone and an app running on the phone. (Currently Unavailable)
“Junior” Thingery Items Include:
Early Literacy Kits
“Little Sprouts” Early Literacy Kits
- All Ready for Toddler Time Readiness Kit: Includes learning tools designed to help teach: numbers, counting, alphabet skills, colors and shapes, and fine motor skills.
- Backpack Bear: Checkout our Backpack Bear with a library book, take a photo of your child reading to Backpack Bear and identify where they are reading and tag (@Mukwonago Community Library) on Facebook. Photos may also be used in an in-house library display.
- Colors: Each Infant + Toddler Bag is packaged in a durable carrying tote and includes a step-by-step activity guide and contents to complement each theme: The Colors Bag develops a toddler’s understanding of color and the ability to sort or categorize objects according to their size and color. The kit also focuses on naming objects and developing language.
- Crash, Boom, Bang!- (for 1’s): Use the materials provided in this kit to help your child explore the developmental skill of imitation. Model how to use the items while allowing your child the freedom to explore new ways to play with the toys.
- Fish Counting 1, 2, 3: This backpack introduces children to math by counting fish. The kit includes two books, 20 vinyl fish counters, a Melissa and Doug wooden fish peg puzzle, a Melissa and Doug wooden box of magnetic numbers and math symbols, and an activity guide with recommendations for using the kit.
- Jumbo Mighty Mouth: Used for teaching the anatomy of oral structures using the Jumbo Mighty Mouth hand puppet to teach speech sounds, and tips for keeping your teeth and gums healthy.
- Rhyming: Start off your child with rhyming. This backpack includes three board books, two puppets, and a laminated activity guide.
- Snake Length: Introduces children to the concept of length by measuring toy snakes and other objects. The backpack includes two books; a Melissa and Doug sack of 6 plastic snakes; 1 jumbo tape measure; 1 Unifix ladder; 100 Unifix snap cubes; and an activity guide with recommendations for using the kit.
- Words, Musical Words: This backpack introduces children to language arts by focusing on words dealing with music. The kit includes two books; a Melissa & Doug wooden musical instruments puzzle with sound effects, several musical instruments, and an activity guide with recommendations for using the kit.
School-Age S.T.E.A.M. Kits
School-Age S.T.E.A.M. Kits
- Aircraft Engineer: Engineering for pre-schoolers! Beautifully written storybook-like manuals guide children on an educational and fun engineering adventure. With 73 colorful and chunky building pieces that are perfect for little hands.
- Aria’s Adventures: ARIA utilizes augmented reality (AR), the latest gaming phenomenon that causes physical objects in the real-world environment to appear augmented in 3D. Download the A.R.I.A.S’s Adventures app from your App Store to your smartphone or tablet to get started. Experience 3D animal flash cards, 3D coloring mode and Aria’s virtual reality animal park.
- Code & Go Mouse Activity Set: Helps young children develop skills in problem solving, self-correcting errors, critical and analytical thinking, if-then logic, and distance and spatial concepts. Introduces basic coding and programming concepts in a fun way.
- Draw, Paint, Doodle: Help the little artist stretch their imagination to the moon and beyond. There are no limits to what they can create with a little push with a few creative tools!
- Gears! Gears! Gears!– Beginner’s Building Set: A building set with easy-to-assemble interlocking gears, bases, and connectors for imaginative play and creative challenges.
- GoldieBlox and the Builder’s Survival Kit: This GoldieBlox survival kit is ideal for developing spatial skills through basic engineering principles. It also helps children build reading skills and confidence in problem solving.
- GoldieBlox and the Spinning Machine: A construction toy and storybook set featuring the world’s first girl engineer character, Goldie Blox! In this kit, Goldie builds a spinning machine to help her dog. Help Goldie build a belt drive machine to spin everybody at once! Introduces the real-life STEM concept of a belt drive.
- GravityMaze: A player draws a challenge card and places towers on the grid as indicated. The goal is to create a maze that will carry a marble from the start position to the target tower.
- Hummingbird Bit Premium Kit: The Hummingbird Bit Premium Kit enables up to 3 students to construct many robotic projects while coding in 5 different programming languages.
- Keva Brain Builders Junior: Helps young minds translate 2D photographs into 3D structures. These hands-on puzzles give children a head start in understanding spatial relationships, inferring hidden details, and thinking creatively.
- K’NEX 70 Model Building Set: K’NEX is a construction toy system consisting of interlocking plastic rods, connectors, gears, wheels, and other components, which can be pieced together to form a wide variety of models, machines, and architectural structures.
- Littlecodr- Teaching Kids to Think Differently: Littlecodr is a crazy fun card game that helps kids learn the basics of logic and coding. Kids use Action Cards to create paths for your or their friends to follow. You are the robot and they are ‘writing the code’ for your to execute.
- Mag-Fun: Learn the basics of architecture with two books and 66 geometric magnets.
- Ollie: Ollie is the app-controlled robot engineered for speed, programmed for tricks, and customized by you, using a compatible smartphone or tablet.
- Osmo- Coding Adventures with Awbie: Osmo is an award-winning game system that will change the way your child interacts with the iPad by opening it up to hands-on play. By placing blocks in patterns and sequences in front of an iPad, kids learn to code Awbie’s every move.
- Osmo- Genius Starter Kit: Osmo is an award-winning game system that will change the way your child interacts with the iPad and iPhone by opening them up to hands-on play.
- Osmo- Little Genius Starter Kit: Your child’s first Osmo, designed to take kids aged 3–5 on a hands-on learning adventure. They’ll spark their imaginations, learn critical skills, and have a blast with these four games!
- Playskool Building Blocks: Helps to develop your child’s fine motor skills. Ages 18 months and up.
- Robo Wunderkind: Build robots and learn to code. Robo Wunderkind is a STEM robotics kit that gives children the opportunity to build their own robots and program them.
- Simple Machines: Experiment and discover basic simple machines by first building the five models and then changing the variables to learn how machines make work and effort easier.
- Smart Circuits: 50 electrifying projects to enjoy. Build Full-Tilt Baseball, ColorTrap It, Fart-Sound Frenzy, and many more fun interactive games.
- Snap Circuits Jr.: Build more than 100 exciting projects! All parts are mounted on plastic modules and snap together with ease. Just follow the colorful pictures in the manual and build many exciting projects and enjoy hours of educational fun.
- Think and Learn Code-a-Pillar: Children can use the segments in the Code-a-pillar to go forward, left, right, or reach a specific target disc. Motorized head features lights, sounds, and blinking eyes. The Code-a-pillar is designed for small children to learn robotics.
- Tinkertoys: Let children explore the concept of building with the Tinkertoy Essentials Value Set! This 65-piece educational toy makes a great learning tool and provides endless hours of entertainment. Recommended for toddlers ages 3 and up.
- Turing Tumble: Turing Tumble is a revolutionary new game where players build mechanical computers powered by marbles to solve logic puzzles. Turing Tumble offers students the opportunity to peek under the hood of computers and discover how they work.
The library has countless craft bags containing everything you will need to make a craft at home with your child! Check one out and let the creativity begin! Materials, crafts, and projects change all the time. The craft you make is yours to keep, just be sure to return the plastic bag.
- Kid’s Kindle: “Battle of the Books” (Elementary Level): This eReader is pre-loaded with all “Battle of the Book” titles for the Elementary Division that are available in ebook format. Check the catalog record for specific titles.
- Kid’s Kindle: “Battle of the Books” (Middle Level): This eReader is pre-loaded with all “Battle of the Book” titles for the Middle Division that are available in ebook format. Check the catalog record for specific titles.
Let the little ones begin their musical journey with pint-sized ukes!